Thursday, March 31, 2011

I get this a lot.  What do you eat when you go out?  Most people think that if you change your diet and lifestyle, that you cannot ever go out to eat.  Heck, yes you can! 

When I go out to eat, I try to stick to things that are not fried, not loaded with dressing, or high is carbohydrates.  So if I go out to eat to a restaurant, I will have salad with chicken, steak, tuna, etc...and the dressing on the side.  The salad dressing is a killer, it will up your caloric intake by the thousands if you are not careful.  I will also eat chicken breast, steak, fish, or any kind of meat.  I usually ask for a salad if it comes with fries, or pasta, or a potato.  Most restaurants will substitute a side salad instead of fries.

Well what do you do when you are driving and the only food is fast food?  This is difficult.  When I drive to Florida, I can't stop at a restaurant every time I am hungry.  It would take days to get there.  And the snack foods (my snack foods:  beef jerky, apples, yogurt, popcorn, etc) just aren't cutting it.  If I have to drive through, which I HATE, I will get the salad with meat, chicken wrap, (Wendy's has a baked chicken wrap, 200 calories, 20 carbs) chili, or I will get chicken fingers, no ranch, or sauce.  I use mustard for all dipping, those dressings are so caloric.  Yes, there are low calorie dressings, but they are gross, I do not like them.

I have food rules; no sugar, no processed foods, no pasta, and little to no bread.  AND-if it has corn syrup in it, forget it!!  I try my darndest not to have snack foods in the house.  I do not like white bleached flour.  It is in everything!  In America, our food is highly processed!  Look at the label if you cannot pronounce the words in the ingredients, it's probably not a good idea to eat it.  Look at the American slices of cheese, it is a chemical in a plastic sheet and we eat it in this country like crazy.  So I try my darndest to not eat overly processed foods, like white bread, it is like glue.  Pasta that is made with white bleached flour, is soo not good for you.  I don't like pasta anyway, so it wasn't difficult for me to give up. 

Of course, as my father always quotes; "Everything in moderation Robin."  I have found that I am not that girl.  I cannot moderate, or control, or have the willpower to NOT EAT some of the foods that are high in fat, sugar, or calories...OK, so all the tasty stuff...SO-I have eliminated them entirely from my diet.  I haven't even eaten a piece of chocolate in over three years, and once you stop you will not miss it.  I do not crave sugar at all any more.  It is gone, and if it's in something, I can't stand the taste of it. 

I think that in my mind I justify this by saying; "I have eaten enough cakes, chips, cookies, pies, pop (liquid Satan) macaroni, pastas, etc. in my life, I do not need to eat it anymore."  I have had enough and so has my poor body.  My body loves sugar and carbs, as soon as I eat them, I gain weight.  Immediately, I gained four pounds on my vacation in Texas.  It is gone now, but man it makes me hysterical to see the scale go the other way...YIKES!!

I try everyday to be as healthy as possible.  Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I do not.  If I average it out, I have more good days than bad, and that is what matters.

I try to stick to 1200 calories a day as close as possible.  I try the rule of sixties;  60 minutes of cardio - straight cardio, no machine hopping, 60 grams of protein, and 60-100 (I try to stick to 60, but it varies daily and not over 100) carbs a day. I have a deficit in my calories, but my body will not let the rest of this weight go. Frustrating beyond belief! But, I keep plugging away at it. I love the exercise. It makes me feel successful, that I am at least trying!

Still looking for pictures...OMG some of them I just cannot believe are me...I will try to garner the courage to post them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment