Sunday, December 19, 2010

MY NEW COAT!!

A couple months ago I saw this ruffel front coat at Macy's, I was in love. It was INC and extremly expensive. $199 to be exact! So, I decided to wait for a sale! When I went back to get it, POOF-it was gone! So I came home and searched for it on Ebay. Not only did I find it, it was only 30 bucks-brand new! So I bought it!




The only problem with the coat is that it has hook and eye closures. It was impossible to fasten those little hooks into the small eyes,and they wouldn't stay closed.






Sometimes I seriously do not understand what the designers are thinking. So I decided I would put a zipper in it.

I buy all my sewing hardware and thread and such at Walmart. A 24 inch zipper is $1.29 at Walmart. At the fabric store they are about four bucks. Make sure you buy a sports zipper, one that seperates at the bottom.

To start I lay the coat out flat and try and figure a way to install the zipper. I do not want to open all the seams and put this zipper in, I want to do it the easiest, quickest way possible.

The ruffels on the front of the coat are tacked/sewn down, so I have to open the small seams using the seam ripper.




Opening the ruffel placket will allow the fabric to lay flat and it will hide the new zipper seam.





I turned the coat inside out so that I can see where I can place my zipper.




I am going to place the zipper directly over the hook and eyes. I do not have to remove them as they will not be in the way of the new zipper.


I lay the zipper on the coat and start to pin the zipper down, while the zipper is still zipped.



Make sure you place the pins in the right direction. They are easier to remove when the ball or head of the pin is facing you. As you sew you can slide them out easier.





I unzip the zipper and I can now sew down the zipper.



Next I have to change the sewing machine foot to the zipper foot. You have to use a zipper foot in order to get close enough to the zipper to sew it down.





Next, I slowly stictch the zipper down and remove the pins as I go so the zipper stays in place.






In about 10 minutes I am done and look at my new seams.



I have to hand stitch the front ruffel placket back down.




And I am done. You can't even see the zipper.



The finished product. At my friends annual Christmas Party!

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Pretty cool stuff. In my comments you state you are a follower and yet I cant find you on my list.I did follow "back" how ever and look for ward to your future posts as well as reading your past ones

Robin said...

I am a follower, I just added you!! Thanks Chrissy!

Anonymous said...

Robin, you are gorgeous. Congrats on losing so much weight, I wish I could find a woman like you to make my dreams come true. You make me hard, I would love to grab your tits and make sweet love by pleasuring you every way possible. Please, this is meant as a compliment to the fullest extent, after coming across your photo I had to say something. Just know there are people out there that would love to be with you, and never feel discouraged, like I said, you are gorgeous. Robin, respond for more, I would love to get to know you.

Post a Comment